This content is just an excerpt from the Complete Second Term Agricultural Science Lesson Note For Primary Two. Check the link attached to download the complete lesson note << DOWNLOAD FILE >>
PRY 2 SECOND TERM AGRICULTURE E-LESSON NOTE
MEANING, CLASSIFICATION OF INSECTS WITH EXAMPLES
What Are Insect Pests?
Insect pests are organisms that infest our crop plants, thereby harming and destroying them.
These insects are tiny animals with six legs. Their body is divided into three parts, called head, thorax and abdomen. Some of them have wings with which they fly while others don’t have wings hence they can only crawl.
- Can you identify the insects in the picture below? Can you identify the ones with wings and the ones without wings,
Classification Of Insect Pests
Based on their feeding habits and the structure of their mouth parts, insect pests can be grouped into three, they are:
- Bitting and chewing insects
- Piecing and sucking insects
- Boring insects
- Biting and Chewing Insects
These insects have strong mouth parts which helps them to bite and chew plants.
Examples are: grasshoppers, termites, cockroaches, locusts, caterpillars, beetles and leaf worms.
- Piercing And Sucking Insects
These insects have mouth parts which help them to pierce through plants and suck liquid materials from plants. Examples are: butterflies, cotton stainer, moth etc.
- Boring Insects
These types of insects make holes into plant parts thereby destroying the plants, fruit or seed. Examples are: bean beetle, maize weevil, rice weevil and stem borer.
Examples of insects we find around us are: cockroaches, mosquitoes, houseflies, ants, grasshoppers, lice and tsetse fly.
- What are insects
- Give five examples of insects
- List three types of insects mouth parts
- Draw and label a named insect
USEFULNESS OF FARM INSECTS
Some insects are very useful to us in the farm especially when growing crops. These insects help the crops to grow well and also help the farmer to make good harvest. Examples of these useful insects are butterflies, bees, termites and praying mantis.
Usefulness of Farm Insects
- Some of them help to pollinate flowers for the purpose of reproduction in plants. Eg butterfly and bees
- Farm insects like bees help to produce honey.
- There are farm insects that help to kill other insects that are harmful eg termites and praying mantis
- Farm insects like termites feed on wood, causing them to decay thereby increasing the nutrient of the soil.
- Mention five examples of useful farm insects.
- Give three reasons why farm insects are important to the farmer.
To gain full access to the note: CLICK HERE >> DOWNLOAD FILE >>