The website has the complete lesson note for all the subjects in secondary school but this piece showcases the SS2 Animal Husbandry Lesson Note on Processing and Marketing of Animal Products. You can use the website search button to filter out the subject of interest to you.
PROCESSING AND MARKETING OF ANIMAL PRODUCTS.
Sub topic 1
Meaning of processing and products
Animal products refers to things or materials produced or obtained from farm animals for the purpose of human needs. Processing of animal products is an organized series of actions that produces the desired animal product. Processing of animal products is important because all the products from the animal cannot be consumed raw. Processing of animal products improves their nutritional quality and also elongates their shelf life, thereby giving room for their transportation from points of production to any part of the world where they may be needed.
Animal products can be grouped into two:
- Primary products: These are products derived from the animal and consumed directly with little or no processing e.g. eggs, meat, milk, etc.
- Secondary products: These are products derived from primary products which are converted to other products e.g. egg powder, milk powder, whey, burger, burger etc.
Animal and their products
Cattle meat, milk, skins
Poultry meat, eggs, and feathers
Pig pork, lard, and skin
Sheep meat, wool, and skin
Goat meat, milk, and mohair
Rabbit meat, pelt, and skin
Grass cutter meat
Animal products have some deficient characteristics which include:
- Easy contamination
- Infection and degeneration
- Transportation and distribution difficulties
Processing techniques for different animal products
An egg is a product of poultry considered to be a complete diet. An egg is rich in protein, iron, and fat. Vitamin C is the only vitamin absent in an egg. An egg is 55%albumen and 45% yolk by volume or weight.
Uses of eggs
- For human consumption as boiled, scrambled, poached, or fried as omelette.
- As a component of other food e.g. cake, pancakes, egg rolls, baby foods
- For the production of vaccines
Click on the Downloadable Button to get the FULL NOTE