The website has the complete lesson note for all the subjects in secondary school but this piece showcases the SS1 Animal Husbandry Lesson Note on Goat Management. You can use the website search button to filter out the subject of interest to you.
CLASS: SS 1
TOPIC: MANAGEMENT OF LIVESTOCK – GOATS MANAGEMENT
Goats are ruminants and very hardy type of animal which are regarded as scavengers. Goat farming is the raising and breeding of domestic goats (Capra aegagrus hircus). It is a branch of animal husbandry. Goats are raised principally for their meat, milk, fibre and skin.
Goat farming can be very suited to production with other livestock such as sheep and cattle on low-quality grazing land. Goats efficiently convert sub-quality grazing matter that is less desirable for other livestock into quality lean meat. Furthermore, goats can be farmed with a relatively small area of pasture and limited resources.
Importance of Keeping Goats
- Goats provides meat as a source of protein
- Goats supply good nutritious milk
- Goats provides hides used in the manufacturing of leather works
- They provides hair(mohair) used for making carpets and bags
- It is a source of income to the government
- They are used for many social and religious ceremonies
- The manure(droppings ) from goats used as manure on the soil
Factors Responsible for Success in Goats Production
- Goats thrive on variety of feeds. They eat almost everything that is not soiled.
- They have high efficiency of feed conversion
- Goats have short gestation interval.
- They relatively resistant to diseases when compared with other farm animals
- They can withstand many adverse environmental conditions
- Goats have fertility and reproductive rates
BREEDS OF GOATS:
- Sokoto red/Maradi
- Bornu red
- Kano brown
- Sahel/Fulani/Desert Goats
- West African Dwarf Goats
- West African long legged Goats
- East African small Goats
Their houses are normally built with asbestos or thatch material for roof, and concrete floor. Litters as bedding are placed on the floor. Shades are provided for goats.
Goats con also be reared comfortably by tethering. Tethering entails tying the goat to a tree or stand with freedom to an extent, so as to enable it graze around the tree or stand.
Click on the Downloadable Button to get the FULL NOTE