The website has the complete lesson note for all the subjects in secondary school but this piece showcases the JSS1 Computer Studies Lesson Note on Health Concerns of Computer Use. You can use the website search button to filter out the subject of interest to you.
TOPIC: HEALTH CONCERNS OF COMPUTER USE
Users are key component in any information system. Therefore, protecting users is just as protecting hardware, software and data. The widespread use of computers have led to some important health concerns which are;
- Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI): computer related RSI’s are the largest job-related injury and illness in the United States today. These are
- Tendonitis: inflammation of tendons due to some repeated motion or stress of that tendon.
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS) is inflammation of the nerve that connects the forearm to the palm of the wrist. Repeated or forceful bending of the wrist can cause CTS.
- Long-term computer work can cause Tendonitis or CTS.
Factors that can cause these disorders include;
- Prolonged typing
- Prolonged mouse usage
- Continual shifting between the mouse and the keyboard
Ways to prevent Repetitive Strain Injury
Take frequent breaks during computer sessions to exercise your hands and arms
Computer Vision Syndrome (CVS): this is a disorder that has to do with the eyes due to a long term focus on the screen.
Symptoms of CVS
- Dry eyes
- Double vision
Ways to prevent Computer Vision Syndrome
- Take an eye break every 10 to 15 minutes
- Blink your eyes every 5 seconds
- Use large fonts
- If you wear glasses, ask your doctor about computer glasses
- Adjust the lightening
- Place your device about an arm’s length away from your eyes with the top of the screen at eye level or below
Click on the Downloadable Button to get the FULL NOTE