This is a departmental subject but sometimes choose by the accounting students to make up the list, however, it is a main subject to offer by the art students and so, more is required of them in keenly reading the reasons why candidates fail 2019 Government WAEC. This is information remains valid irrespective of year.
Candidates’ weaknesses as reflected in their work included:
- Misinterpretation of the questions
Many candidates failed to perform excellently because they misinterpreted the questions and failed to understand the demands of the questions. They therefore supplied wrong answers to some of the questions.
- Inadequate preparation
Inadequate preparation by the candidates was another noticeable weakness. Many candidates did not prepare well for the examination. This led to their poor performance.
- Violation of rubrics
Many candidates failed to adhere to the rubrics of the paper and therefore answered more than the required number of questions. Some of them also provided more than the needed answers to the questions.
- Skimpy answers
Most of the candidates supplied skimpy answers to the questions and failed to explain their points further. The answers provided were incomprehensive and lacked satisfactory details to convince the examiners to award them good marks.
Suggested Remedies to Overcome Candidates’ Weaknesses
The following were recommended by the chief examiner:
- Candidates need to be adequately prepared before they sit for examinations.
- Qualified teachers should be employed to teach the students Government.
- Teachers should teach their students how to supply answers to questions.
- Provision of school library with modern textbooks will be helpful.
- Candidates should explain their points to earn full marks.
Many candidates demonstrated originality and improved in the way they answer the questions when compared with that of previous years.