Please or Register to create posts and topics.

WAEC Frequently Asked Questions and their Accurate Answers

On this Page, we will attempt to provide accurate answers to Frequently Asked WAEC Questions from WAEC Candidates and the entire public at large.

NB: The Answers to questions below were gotten from WAEC Official twitter handle and WAEC Nigeria Official Website. Hence 100% Accurate.

WAEC Frequently Asked Questions and Answers.

1. What is WAEC?

WAEC is the acronym for West African Examination Council. WAEC was established in 1952. For a more detailed report, please check out the Wikipedia article on WAEC..

1. As a WAEC Candidates am I supposed to pay for WAEC Calculator?

No. Your Registration Fee covers the cost of the calculator.

1. Can I Change my Date of Birth on my WAEC Certificate?

No, you can’t. Please, be informed that WAEC in the five member countries no longer entertain requests for amendment of date of birth on certificates.

1. How Can I get my WAEC Original Result?

For SSCE candidates, you will get the original result from the school you wrote the exam. For GCE candidates, you will get the original result from WAEC Branch office in your state.

1. How Much is WEAE Registration?

The registration fee for both the School & Private Candidates’ Examination is the same: 13,950 Naira.

1. Can I change my Passport after WAEC Registration?

Yes, you can. This can be done in WAEC office in your state.

1. Can I change my LGA and/or state of Origin After WAEC Registration?

Yes, you can change it. This can also be done the the board’s office in your state.

1. Is it true that I Can’t use WAEC Scratch Card to Check my Result?

WAEC have stopped producing scratch cards. What is in use presently is e-PIN/Voucher that is printed on paper.

1. I had F9 in my WAEC Result, will it appear in my Original Result?

In WAEC original certificates or Attestation of Results the subjects a candidate had F9s are not captured. To make it simple, WAEC doesn’t record failed course in its certificate.

1. Where is WAEC office located?

WAEC headquarters is located in Accra. In Nigeria, WAEC international office is located in Plot 6, Lateef Jakande Road, Agidingbi, Ikeja, Lagos, Nigeria.

1. When will WAEC result come out?

The West African Examination Council has stated that WAEC results will be released 60 days after the exam. Immediately the results are out, candidates can go online to check their results.

1. How can I collect my Original WAEC certificate?

You can collect your WAEC original result 2 years after the exam was written. Candidates can get the original result at a WAEC zonal or state office.

1. Can I combine WAEC and NECO result for admission?

Yes. WAEC and NECO results can be combined together for admission into any Nigeria Tertiary Institutions that accepts two sittings.

1. Can I retrieve my WAEC Photocard?

Yes, and it can be done in WAEC office.

1. How can I request for Confirmation of WAEC Result?

To confirm your original WAEC result or transcript for either admission or any other reason, the following should be sent to WAEC:

1. Letter of Attestation: to be written on a letterhead, stamped & signed by a clergyman or imam or court of law;
  2. Sworn affidavit;
  3. Photocopy of result print out;
  4. N10, 000 excluding postage. Approved courier services: prices depend on destination.

16. Can I request for My WAEC Transcript via Proxy?

Yes, you can request for the transcript of your WAEC result via proxy. This means someone can request your application for you. This is useful if you don’t stay in Nigeria but needs the transcript abroad.

1. Can I use my WAEC result abroad?

Yes, you can. WAEC result can be used to process admission in foreign countries.

1. Do WAEC results expire?

WAEC results do not expire. The results can be used anytime irrespective of the year it was written.

1. Can I retrieve my Lost, Stolen Or Burnt Original WAEC Certificates?

WAEC does not issue duplicate certificates. But WAEC issues a statement of results to owners of lost certificates which can replace the lost certificates.

1. Why are some WAEC results cancelled?

Results are cancelled when candidates are found guilty of examination malpractice.

21. How can a candidate get errors on his/her WAEC certificates corrected?

A Private candidate sends his/her request for an amendment to WAEC directly, while in the case of a school candidate it is the principal who makes the request.

In the two instances, the original copy of the certificate should be sent along with the application for amendment. WAEC charges a fee for the amendment where it is discovered that the error emanated from the candidate, otherwise, it is free.

1. Why is it that WAEC candidates sometimes have partial release of results?

Results are partially released due to queries arising from one or a combination of the following mistakes:

1. Wrong transfer of examination numbers in one or more papers;
  2. Failure to shade examination numbers;
  3. Shading objective sheets with biro pens instead of pencil;
  4. Mistakes in entries leading to duplication of subjects.
  5. Who are the officials involved in the conduct of WAEC examinations?

There are three categories of officials: supervisors, invigilators and inspectors.

Supervisors are teachers nominated by the various State Ministries of Education. They are actually responsible for conducting the exams at the various centres. It is their responsibility to collect question papers from the custodian and return answer scripts to the custodian centres.

Invigilators are usually teaching staff nominated by their school principals to assist the supervisors at the centres, while inspectors are WAEC staff members who go from one centre to another when the examination is in progress.

1. Do WAEC officials mark candidates’ scripts?

No. The marking of scripts is handled by examiners appointed by WAEC. They are usually educationists who are familiar with the classroom situation and their identities are not supposed to be disclosed.

1. Who are these WAEC examiners and how are they appointed?

WAEC examiners are mostly graduate teachers in secondary schools, and some lecturers in colleges of education, universities and polytechnics.

A prospective examiner must be a graduate in the subject he is appointed to mark. In addition, he must have a minimum of two years of classroom teaching experience and must be recommended by the principal of the school in which he teaches.

1. My son wrote GCE 2015 in Lagos and needs to collect his original result from your office but cannot find his exam photo card. What do we do? Do the custody fees apply to him??

ANS: He can request for the retrieval of his photo card at a fee in our office. No, Custody Fee starts counting after 4 years.

1. I wrote my GCE in Ketu. Please I want to collect my original WAEC certificate, how much is it? what are the requirements? please which office am I collect it from?

ANS: Please, go to our Ikorodu Office at Ebute Road, Igbogbo with: One passport Photo card Computer printout of the result N3, 500.00 cash (payable to WAEC) NB: If your certificate have stayed in our office for more than 4years, Custody Fee would apply.

1. My son wrote GCE 2015 in Lagos and needs to collect his original result from your office but cannot find his exam photo card. What do we do? Does the custody fees apply to him?

ANS: He can request for the retrieval of his photo card. Custody Fee applies to only certificates that have stayed in our office for more than 4years.

1. Please, I just collected my original WAEC certificate and the Date of Birth (DOB) is not correct, what do I do please… I wrote the exam in the year 2009.

ANS: Requirements for Amendment of Date of Birth on Certificates Sworn Affidavit; Photocopy of Birth Certificate-(Original must be sighted by a WAEC Staff when submitting your request); Administrative Fee of 10,000 Naira; and A Letter of Application.

1. what are the requirements on ground for me to acquire my original WAEC certificate?

ANS: Requirements for Collection of Certificates by Private Candidates: One passport Photo card Computer printout of the result N3, 500.00 cash (payable to WAEC) NB: If your certificate have stayed in WAEC office for more than 4years, Custody Fee would apply.

1. Pls how many years does it take for WAEC Original Certificate to be available? … Or is it in months???

ANS: It takes 90 days after the release of results. Kindly note that beginning with WASSCE for Private Candidates, 2019-Second Series, certificates are to be printed on request made online via https://certrequest.waec.ng Please, see the advert below for more information:

1. How do I contact WAEC for inquiries?

You can contact WAEC through their twitter handle {@waecnigeria} or you can send an email to waecnigeria@waec.org.ng.

1. What is WAEC website?

WAEC has a variety of website. The website for checking WAEC result is different from the one for doing registrations. Below are some of the domains related to WAEC;

If you still have any other question, please feel free to use the comment box below.

Copyright warnings! Do not copy.