The content is just an excerpt from the complete note for SS1 Second Term Computer Studies Lesson Note – Computer System Software II. Check below to download the complete DOCUMENT
TOPIC: COMPUTER SYSTEM SOFTWARE (cont’d)
- Examples of Operating Systems
- Examples of Translators and Utility programs
SUB-TOPIC 1: OPERATING SYSTEM:
Computers require an operating system (OS) to work. The operating system is a group of programs that manage the computer system resources, including the data in main memory and in auxiliary storage. It is the most important piece of software in a computer system. A computer’s operating system (OS) is the systems software that allows all the dissimilar hardware and software components to work together. It consists of a set of programs that manages all the computer’s resources, An OS provides services that are needed by applications and software, such as reading data from a hard disk. Parts of an OS may be permanently stored in a computer’s ROM.
The operating system has three major functions:
- It coordinates and manipulates computer hardware, such as computer memory, printers, disks, keyboard, mouse, and monitor
- It organizes files on a variety of storage media, such as floppy disk, hard drive, compact disc, digital video disc, and tape; and
- It manages hardware errors and the loss of data.
General examples of operating systems
- Microsoft Windows: 95, 98, 2000, ME, XP, NT, Vista, 7, 8, 10, Windows NT, Windows server 2003
- Unix: Linux, Ubuntu,
- Novel Netware, etc
Types of Operating System:
To gain full access to the note: DOWNLOAD FILE