The content is just an excerpt from the complete note for SS 1 First Term Agricultural Science Lesson Note – Problems of Agricultural Development and Possible Solutions. Check below to download the complete PDF
TOPIC: PROBLEMS OF AGRICULTURAL DEVELOPMENT AND POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS.
Many developing countries in West Africa are faced with numerous problems which militate against the development of agriculture. Some of these problems are:
- Inadequate Land or Land Tenure System
- Poor Storage and Processing Facilities
- Inadequate Finance of Credit Facilities.
- Inadequate Farm Inputs
- Inadequate Basic Amenities
- Problems of Transportation
- Low level of Agricultural Education and Extension
- Unstable or Inconsistence Government Policies
- Environmental Degradation
- Rural-Urban Migration
- Poor Marketing Systems.
- Pests and Diseases Infestation.
(1) INADEQUATE LAND TENURE SYSTEMS: This problem is discussed under the following points:
- Increase in Population increases alternative use of land for agriculture which will reduce the size of farm land
- The type of Land Tenure system which encourages family ownership of land does not allow farmers to acquire large areas of land for commercial agriculture
- The land Use Decree of 1978 should be fully and judiciously implemented
- The government can acquire land for farm settlement scheme
(2) POOR STORAGE AND PROCESSING FACILITIES
Most agricultural produce are perishable. They cannot be kept or stored long except there is adequate storage and processing facilities.
- Lot of produce are wasted
- Reduces the quantity and quality of farm produce
- Government should provide storage and processing facilities at subsidized rate
- More people should be trained on the technology of food storage and processing
- Government should buy excess produce from the farmers during their seasons at considerable prizes for future use
- Farmers should be encouraged to construct cribs, barns and rhombus in a modern ways for proper storage of farm produce
- Supervised agricultural loans should be provided to farmers so as to purchase modern storage and processing facilities
- Government should provide chemical such as fumigants, insecticides for storing harvested produce.
- Farmers should be educated on the use of chemicals for storing farm produce
FINANCE OR CREDIT FACILITY
(3) INADEQUATE FINANCE OR CREDIT FACILITIES
To have a complete access to the note: DOWNLOAD FILE