The content is just an excerpt from the complete note for JSS3 Second Term Business Studies Lesson Note – How to Seek Redress. Check below to download the complete DOCUMENT
TOPIC: HOW TO SEEK REDRESS:
- (a) Meaning of consumer rights and redress
- (b) Type of Consumer right.
- (c) Ways of seeking redress.
- (d) Benefits of providing redress.
MEANING OF CONSUMERS REDRESS:
It is a process of providing a set of rules and guideline that protect all consumers. It is a process of setting right a wrong or providing for fair settlement of justified claims.
Consumers right are privileges entitled to consumers and they are:
- Right to satisfaction of basic needs: access to basic essential goods and services, adequate food, clothing , shelter, healthcare and education
- Right to be informed: consumers need to be informed about choice and to be protected against dishonest or misleading advertising and labeling
- Right to get truthful and honest information about the goods and services which are purchased.
- Right to choose between products of different qualities and prices which are required to satisfy their needs. It is the consumer’s right to choose a level of quality and performance equal to the price which he/she is prepared to pay
- Right to be heard
- Right to safety of goods and services bought
- Right to redress: settlement of choice claims. It includes the right compensation for misrepresentation or shoddy (inferior) goods or unsatisfactory services
- Right to consumer education
- Right to healthy environment
WAYS OR PROCEDURES OF SEEKING REDRESS:
Redress can be sought in the law court and through the Consumer Protection Agency. However the procedures for seeking redress are:
- Report or return the product as soon as possible.
- Request for a replacement.
To gain full access to the note: DOWNLOAD FILE