The content is just an excerpt from the complete note for JSS2 First Term Civic Education Lesson Note – Relationship Between Federal; State and Local Governments. Check below to download the complete DOCUMENT
Topic: RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN FEDERAL, STATE AND LOCAL GOVERNMENTS
- Nature of relationship among federal, state and local government
- Differences among federal, state, and local governments
The major relationship between Federal and State Governments and local
Governments are summarized below:
- In a Federal and State, all the government activities are being coordinated together, yet they are independent of one another
- The component states of the federation are created out of a single country.
- There are powers sharing in the federation.
- There is the duplication of government departments at the federal, state and local levels
- The country’s resources are kept in the national treasury and shared among the 3 levels (tiers) of government every month.
DIFFERENCES AMONG FEDERAL, STATE, AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT
In spite of the existing relationship between the levels of government, there are areas of differences, which could be seen in the following areas.
- The functions of the Federal Government cover the whole of the federation while a state will only operate within the state and local government level
- The Federal legislature is bicameral, made up of the senate and the House of Representatives, while the State legislature is unicameral.
To gain full access to the note: DOWNLOAD FILE