The website has the complete lesson note for all the subjects in secondary school but this piece showcases the JSS1 Basic Science Lesson Note on Air and Land Pollution. You can use the website search button to filter out the subject of interest to you.
TOPIC: ENVIRONMENTAL POLLUTION
SUB-TOPIC: AIR AND LAND POLLUTION
CONTENT: 1- AIR POLLUTION
DEFINITION OF AIR POLLUTION
Air pollution is the discharge of harmful waste substances which contaminate the atmosphere. Air pollutants can be solids, liquids or gases.
Air pollution is a serious problem in many parts of the world. Smokestacks pump pollution into the air, harming the environment and making it harder to breathe.
The composition of clean dry air is
Carbon dioxide 0.03%
Anything short of this is air pollution.
The major air pollutants are
- Sulphur dioxide from motor vehicles and industrial plants.
- Nitrogen oxides
- Carbon monoxide from exhaust pipe of cars
- Hydrogen sulphide smell like rotten egg
- Dust from city road and surroundings.
- Smoke from domestic fires, cigarettes, industrial premises, etc.
- Smog is produced by the action of sunlight on nitric oxide and nitrogen dioxide.
- Radioactive rays from nuclear power plants and nuclear reactors.
Sub-Topic 2: SOURCES OF AIR POLLUTION
- Power stations
Click on the Downloadable Button to get the FULL NOTE